Thursday, January 20, 2011

The little things.....




I spend all day taking care of kids, running after them, keeping them safe, feeding them, cleaning them, diapering them, educate them, and most important of all loving them. Childcare is a wonderful opportunity to make a difference in a child's life. It is also a very tough job. I don't just baby sit toddlers all day, no, that is not my in my job description. Yes, I change diapers. Yes, I watch them to keep them safe from harm. Yes, I do pretty much what a baby sitter would do. But. I also create an environment conducive to nurturing their social, cognitive, emotional and physical development. ( I work in the young toddler unit, one year olds.) I encourage curiosity, exploration and discovery. They don't just play, they learn and grow.

Childcare is a great place for a child to bud and grow. But childcare can also be hard on a young one. Imagine spending over eight hours a day in a room with two teachers and 9 other kids. You have to share everything, space, toys, books, germs and even the teachers attention. Childcare can be a bit overwhelming at times. It is no wonder that every now and then, a child needs a little something more.

A day ago, one of my toddlers had a run in with a classmate who took his toy. We walked over to the grabber and got the toy back but the child was still an emotional wreck. I sat down on the ground so that we could be at the same eye level. I gave the child a big hug. After a minute, he looked up at me and smiled then went off to play. He was fine. I was touched by his reaction to something so little like a hug. But then I thought, maybe it was not such a small thing, a comforting, reassuring hug.

I sure could use one of those right about now :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are like friends, the more, the merrier!